Winning House Team
At SMPS our design and technology curriculum allows children to exercise their creativity through designing and making. We encourage children to use their creativity and imagination, to design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values.
They are taught to combine these skills with knowledge and understanding in order to design and make a product. These skills are taught progressively to ensure that all children are able to learn and practice as they move through school.
Design and technology allows children to apply the knowledge and skills learned in other subjects, particularly Maths, Science and Art. Children’s interests are captured through topics, ensuring that links are made in a cross curricular way, giving children motivation and meaning for their learning.
Our curriculum is taken from The National Curriculum for design and technology which aims to ensure that all pupils:
● develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world
● build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users
● critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others
● understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook
By the time children leave our school they will have:
● An excellent attitude to learning and independent working.
● The ability to use time efficiently, and work constructively and productively with others.
● The ability to carry out thorough research, show initiative and ask questions to develop an exceptionally detailed knowledge of users’ needs.
● The ability to act as responsible designers and makers, working ethically, using finite materials carefully and working safely.
● A thorough knowledge of which tools, equipment and materials to use to make their products. ● The ability to apply mathematical knowledge and skills accurately.
● The ability to manage risks exceptionally well to manufacture products safely and hygienically.
● A passion for the subject.
SMPS commitment to all aspects of the creative arts is demonstrated through the award of the Silver Artsmark. We are proud that we have achieved this creative quality standard for schools which is accredited by the Arts Council England.
For more information on the Design and Technology skills and concepts that are taught throughout school, please see our curriculum progression document below: